royal falooda recipe | falooda ice cream recipe with step by step photos is a milk based dessert that has several layers arranged in a glass. Falooda can be made in different flavours; rose falooda, kesar falooda, mango falooda, pista falooda and so on. Falooda can be made with either kulfi or ice-cream. The one made using kulfi is called kulfi falooda and the one made with ice-cream is called ice-cream falooda. Today let’s talk about the basic falooda recipe, which is the rose falooda recipe.
The royal falooda recipe uses rose syrup for flavour, hence it is also popular as rose falooda. The color of royal falooda is pink, which looks pretty and tempting and it is equally delicious. Apart from rose syrup, the royal falooda recipe (रॉयल फालूदा रेसिपी) is made with falooda sev, sabja seeds/basil seeds, sweetened milk, and ice cream.
the layers of royal falooda before stirring; rose syrup, basil seeds/sabja, falooda sev, sweetened milk, and ice cream garnished with pistachios and rose syrup
The falooda is garnished with pistachios because it adds a nice crunch to it. You can also decorate it with cherries. Falooda is very addictive and sinful. It an indulgent dessert and it’s worth enjoying once in a while. Since the royal falooda has a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, just like how the falooda stalls sell it, it’s also called falooda with ice cream. Trust me when I say, homemade falooda is an ultimate way to beat the heat.
the origin of falooda dessert
In India, Falooda is a popular item on the menu of ice cream parlours and street vendors that serve milkshakes and cold drinks. But falooda had not always been not always been a part of the Indian cuisine. It has its roots in the Persian cuisine and the place of its origin is Iran. When the Parsis moved to India, they introduced falooda to the Indians and since then it has been a much loved summer drink among the Indians. So that’s the history of faluda for you.
making falooda ahead of time
Falooda is a building-on recipe, meaning just involves combining various ingredients that must be prepared in advance. The falooda noodles should be ready. The sabja must be soaked in water for at least half an hour or so. Besides that, the milk needs to be chilled and sweetened with sugar to taste.
You can even assemble everything in a tall glass except the ice cream and keep it in fridge. When you are ready to serve, just top the falooda with ice cream and enjoy. Keeping falooda glasses ready in the fridge is a great idea when you are entertaining guests. You just have to add ice cream later while serving and it saves a lot of time.
what is sabja
Sabja is an important ingredient of any falooda recipe. Sabja (सब्जा) are the sweet basil seeds, which puff up and become translucent when you soak them in water. They are also known as tukmalanga and tukmaria and have a cooling effect on the body, which is why it is beneficial to consume them during summers.
Making royal falooda recipe at home is very easy. Let’s take a look at its ingredients and method of preparation.
how to make royal falooda recipe
- Rose syrup - 4 tbsp or to taste
- Falooda sev - ¼ cup (recipe here), drained
- Full fat milk - 1 & ½ cup, chilled
- Sugar - to taste
- Vanilla ice cream - 2 scoops
- Sabja seeds/basil seeds - ½ tbsp
- Water - ½ cup
- Pistachios - sliced
- To make falooda ice cream, soak sabja seeds in water.
- Keep them aside for half an hour. They will turn into translucent pearls.
- Add sugar to the chilled full fat milk and stir well. Since I have used pasteurized milk, I have not boiled the milk or reduced it. The ice cream adds richness to the falooda so you don't need to reduce the milk.
- Now to make a serving of royal falooda, take a tall glass. Firstly, pour rose syrup into the glasses, 2 tbsp or to taste.
- Then top it with 2 tbsp soaked sabja seeds. Add more if you wish.
- Gently spoon in the 2 tbsp falooda sev.
- Now, very gently add ¾ cup milk to the glass so that the layer of rose syrup doesn't get disturbed. This way, you will get different layer of pink syrup and white milk and it will look beautiful.
- Finally, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Garnish the falooda ice cream with pistachios. Drizzle some more rose syrup and sabja seeds to make it look even more beautiful. Make the other serving of royal falooda the same way.
- Royal falooda recipe is ready. Serve immediately. Stir the falooda gently before eating it. Enjoy!
royal falooda recipe with step by step pictures below
To make falooda ice cream, take 1/2 tbsp sabja seeds/basil seeds in a bowl.
Add 1/2 cup water to it and let it rest for 30 minutes. It will fluff up and becomes translucent.
Now, add sugar to the chilled 1 & 1/2 cup full fat milk according to your taste. Stir it well. Since I am using pasteurized milk, I have not boiled the milk or reduced it. The ice cream makes the falooda rich so you don’t need to reduce the milk.
All the ingredients to make falooda are ready. We have here fluffed up sabja seeds, rose syrup, some falooda sev (recipe here) which is well drained, vanilla ice cream, and some sliced pistachios for garnish.
Now to make a serving of royal falooda, take a tall glass. Firstly, pour 2 tbsp rose syrup into the glass. You may adjust the amount of rose syrup to suit your taste.
Then top it with 2 tbsp soaked sabja seeds each.
Gently spoon in 2-3 tbsp of falooda sev (recipe here) in each glass.
Now, very gently add 3/4 cup milk to each glass so that the layer of rose syrup doesn’t get disturbed. This way, you will get different layer of pink syrup and white milk and it will look beautiful.
Finally, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in each glass.
Garnish the falooda ice cream with pistachios. Drizzle some more rose syrup and sabja seeds to make it look even more beautiful.
Royal falooda recipe is ready. Serve immediately. Stir the falooda gently before eating it. Enjoy!