Piyush recipe (पियूष रेसिपी) is a cold drink recipe ideal for summers. Piyush is made with curd, milk, and shrikhand, which is also made from hung curd. The addition of nuts and saffron makes it very rich. Piyush is a lot like lassi, only that it’s thicker, sweeter, and richer. The flavours of green cardamom and nutmeg give piyush an irresistible fragrance.
Piyush is a great drink for when you are fasting because it’s so filling. It’s very energizing from all the curd, fats, and sugar in it. No wonder the meaning of ‘Piyush’ is ‘amrit’ or ‘the nectar of immortality’. It is an excellet colant for the body during the hot days. Piyush is popular in Mumbai and Gujarat. A lot of places in Dadar, Mumbai serve piyush made in an authentic way.
You can make piyush recipe by churning it with a wooden churner, or blending everything together in a blender, or just whisking the ingredients together in a bowl. The wooden whisk or madani is used traditionally to make lassi, chhach/buttermilk, and piyush as well. I used the whisk though and it works perfectly fine. Piyush is supposed to be served nicely chilled in order to enjoy it thoroughly. Chill it in the fridge for 2-3 hours before serving.
I have used homemade badam pista shrikhand to make this piyush recipe. You may use store-bought shrikhand if you wish. There is already some green cardamom/elaichi, nutmeg/jaiphal, and saffron/kesar. You must adjust the quantity of green cardamom, nutmeg, and saffron in the piyush recipe depending how much of it the shrikhand already has in it. The quantities given in the recipe are perfect of you are using my homemade shrikhand recipe.
If you are looking for more summer drink recipes to make at home, do check out muskmelon and honey dew milkshake, peanut butter and jelly milkshake, figs and banana milkshake, aam panna, cold coffee with ice cream.
Now let’s take a look at the ingredients of piyush recipe and method of preparation.
- Shrikhand - cup (recipe here)
- Full fat milk - 1 & ½ cups
- Curd - 1 & ½ cups, whisked
- Powdered sugar - ¼ cup or to taste
- Saffron (kesar) - a few strands soaked in 1 tbsp warm water
- Ground green cardamom (hari elaichi) - ½ tsp
- Nutmeg (jaiphal) - a pinch or two
- Pistachios - sliced
- A few strands of saffron
- a pinch of ground green cardamom
- To make piyush recipe, combine curd, milk, shrikhand, green cardamom, nutmeg, powdered sugar, and saffron-infused water together in a bowl. Save a few strands of saffron for the garnish.
- Whisk everything well. Cover the bowl with a lid and chill it in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- Serve the piyush in tall glasses and garnish it with a pinch of ground green cardamom, pistachios and saffron.
- Piyush recipe is ready. Serve it chilled. Enjoy!
piyush recipe with step by step pictures below
Gather the ingredients to make piyush summer drink.
To make piyush recipe, combine 1 & 1/2 cup whisked curd, 1 & 1/2 cup full fat milk, 1 cup shrikhand (recipe here), 1/2 tsp ground green cardamom, a pinch or two of nutmeg, 1/4 cup powdered sugar or to taste, and some saffron soaked in 1 tbsp warm water together in a bowl. Save a few strands of saffron for the garnish.
Whisk everything well. Cover the bowl with a lid and chill it in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
Now, serve the piyush in two tall glasses. Finally, garnish it with a pinch of ground green cardamom, somw sliced pistachios and saffron. Piyush recipe is ready. Serve it chilled. Enjoy!